Skip Navigation

Public Housing

Housing for Aging and Disabled Individuals

The Federal Government and most states have programs that help pay for housing for older people with low or moderate incomes, less than $46,000 if single or $53,000 if married.

Usually you have to fill out an application, and there may be a waiting list. Some of these housing programs also offer help with:

  • Meals
  • Housekeeping
  • Shopping
  • Laundry

Residents typically live in their own apartments within the complex. Usually a Federal or State agency will review your monthly income and expenses to see if you are eligible for this type of housing. Rent payments are usually a percentage of your income.

To find out more about subsidized housing in your area, visit the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development-Subsidized Housing website.